Thursday, February 3, 2011

"Afro Haole"


im a dead wife for posting this.. but no one tell! He never reads this thing anyways.. haha


My husband is a very happy, smiley person. He also has some very distinct features, like... HIS HAIR. haha. Anyways, i have pictures of him on my binder and without fail, in every class i have ever been in here at BYU-H... People say... THATS YOUR HUSBAND? I know him!! haha.. Sometimes, people even forget to ask my name, or say hello. Here is one i had'nt heard yet..

local boy: "you know what we call your husband?"

ME: "beats me, what do you call my husband?"

Local boy say... "We call him "Afro Haole." Everyone knows who he is but we dont always remember or know his name. So we started saying white boy, afro, "Afro Haole." ..

ME: start laughing really hard. "That is too funny."

It made my day! Its true though, he is always smiling, and everyone does know who he is. But this conversation by far was the best ever. I told Huston. He laughed too, only he doesnt really like the term "Haole" because his dream is to be as brown as they are, and sometimes i swear he thinks he is a local.

For those of you who dont know what the word Haole means, here is the definition:

is generally used to refer to an individual that fits one (or more) of the following: "White person, American, Englishman, Caucasian; American, English; in the Hawaiian language. (Its like being called a cracker pretty much)... very rascist word unless you are friends. Almost like calling a black person the N word, however used alot looser, and its more common. You will hear the word more frequently.

SMILE! :)

3 comments:

  1. LOVE LOVE LOVE the picture!! His hair can definitely get out of control. What a funny nickname and even funnier that Huston thinks he is a local. I know the feeling. When I went to Italy I was buying a skirt. The lady behind the cash register spoke english to the person in front of me and then when I came up the she spoke Italian to me and I didn't say a word. I liked the feeling of being a "local". Oh, let him have his great feeling of fitting in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daniel used to have hair just like that in high school, believe it or not! Haha.

    ReplyDelete