Last week I got to spend the week in Arizona with my family. You know what I got to do??? Spend all day every day with THIS guy :)
I got to hog him all to myself and I loved every second. We finally have been able to get him on his feet somewhat, however the day I arrived he was one sicky guy.
My poor dad has endured so much in the past 5 weeks. While all of you were enjoying the USA dominate the Olympics, he seemed to be competing in the "who can get the highest # of surgeries in a month" olympics and i'm pretty sure he qualifies for the gold medal.
Dad went in on July 10th for what he thought would be a normal routine outpatient surgery on his lower spine. They call it a lamenectomy where they do something special do your spinal nerve to relieve pain.
After this, the doctor decided he would HAVE to have what they call a spinal fusion. A fusion is where they put rods and screws to support where needed. Lo and behold, a few days later he had the fusion done.
After the fusion is where it goes downhill... He contracted a viral infection called cediph which causes severe diarrhea and puking. Which in turn, made my dad extremely weak. He unfortunately sat in his mess for too long, and it got his surgery incision infected as well.
After 2 wound revisions in attempt to get out all infection, the doctors had to undo his fusion and take out all of his screws. Underneath the screws they found a HUGE pocket of infection that had been hiding.
(this was after the first wound revision, It is clearly infected. See how raised it is?)
(After the second wound revision. Most all infection is gone. Can you tell?? Much Better!! )
Now that all that infection that had been harboring in my father's body is somewhat gone, he is a whole new man. I am happy to announce he finally has an appetite again. He is finally regaining strength. After 5 weeks he finally was discharged from Chandler Regional Medical Center.
When I left him on Sunday this is what I found, and I was one proud daughter! :)
He is now at Health South Rehab center getting his booty kicked every day with physical therapy to regain strength.
I could not be more proud of him. He has had to overcome so much. Including battling his own mindset which is not easy to do. The phrase "Mind over Matter" really became my dad's reality.
There was a point where I questioned the Lord's plan for our family and was unsure if my Dad would ever come out of this, but within only a day of spending with my Dad he shared his testimony with me in tears, and I knew everything was going to be ok. He had so much spiritual strength despite his physical weakness.
Its a good thing too because I don't know what we would all do without my dad. He takes such good care of everyone in our family, and not just in our family but everyone around him. Everyone is definitely feeling his absence. Us girls are spoiled rotten. My mom gets breakfast cooked for her every morning before work, and he is always willing to give, give, give, and he still has so MUCH to give in his life, so i am grateful the Savior granted him with health and strength.
What I enjoyed most about my week, were my visits with my dad. We really bonded. We talked about school, work, home, Huston, and baby. In a way it was just the ego boost I needed. He kept telling me how proud he was of me, and how excited he was for baby to come. Im so glad he gets to be this baby's grandpa because he is so excited.
I also really loved watching people visit my dad. Some of his oldest and dearest friends, and after each one of them left, he had that much more strength. You could see it in his eyes. Many angels administered to my family, and for that I was extremely grateful.
I love you Dad. I am so glad this is all finally on the outs!!
Prayers are still much appreciated as he still has a long road to recovery.






No comments:
Post a Comment