Sunday, June 19, 2011

1 year 6 months

It hardley feels like its been that long.... I feel like we got married December 19,2009 and I blinked and now we have been married all of a sudden for a year and half!

I can remember when we first moved into our ward, and thinking that the couples that had been married this long were so much older and wiser than us, and i was so impressed with thier examples.

I dont feel older, or wiser. Haha. Maybe we are still in the newly wed phase, however hopefully newlyweds look at us now and think what i used to, "Wow, i want to be just like them, they set a really good example of what we want to be."

Yes, marraige was quite the adjustment to say the least for both of us, but i would not change a thing! It has been a blast.

A few things marraige has taught me thus far.....

-being selfless is important- believe it or not, it is not all about YOU (but sometimes it really is! and thats ok)

-Going to Costco does not count for date night...although this is Huston's favorite thing to do. Not sure why, but Costco trips and grocery shopping is like his favorite thing to do

-There is no such things as a "Women's chore" and a "Man's chore" - HELP EACH OTHER OUT

-Living with someone under the same roof is totally different than dating them

-One week away from each other, is the LIMIT! (for us..haha)

-Your not a failure if you dont get ready every day. Its ok for husband to see you without make-up on

-being the perfect wife is a total "cliche" there is no such thing as perfect

-The two of you were not raised the same-combine traditions and values and make it work

-making dinner at the same time every night is impossible

- marraige is a "Give and Take" process (easier said than done)

- Huston loves his back rubbed more than I do, therefore i should always rub his back

-managing your finances is not always the easiest conversation to have

-you have to be WILLING to say your sorry

-That word WILLING is a big one, there are many other things you have to be WILLING to learn and sacrifice for as well

-attending the temple together is a great blessing

- moving to a "rock" for the beginning of marraige brings you closer together because you only have each other to lean on

-sometimes you want to ring the other person's neck-more like all the time- but we make it work (JOKE)

-Ice cream does NOT make all the problems in the world go away. haha, but its worth the smile

-Ice cream also makes you fat and adds to the other 10lbs you will gain learning to cook for your husband

-Husbands dont LOVE the same meal over and over and over again. (remember last year when i asked for all those recipes? and no one commented?? ) Although i have gotten better and more creative

- DATE night is the most important night of the week and it is OK to just have a night "in" together.

-Homework and all other things can be set aside for later if your spouse needs some attention

-Husbands get too hot at night for some reason, so you dont cuddle all night when you sleep. (I always thought we would)

-PMS is definately called "Pissed at Men Syndrome" when your married

-Birth Control can make you crazy -be careful on that stuff

-Its ok to be homesick when you live on a "Rock"

-and most important lesson- YOU CANT BLAME EVERYTHING ON YOUR HOROMONES!! (dang-it) hate to brake it to ya women, but sometimes we are just crazy.


** I dont want to bore anyone... I really could go on forever, I learn something new everyday...and couldnt be more grateful for the man who is in along side me for the ride. Eternity just doesnt seem long enough!

4 comments:

  1. Oh the things we learn! Somethings are learned harder then others but the process is one amazing journey! I love reading and catching up on your lives there on "the Rock". You guys are something else. Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL I enjoyed your post! Amen to the birth control! And it does take time to get in the groove with finances, but when you do, it's so awesome! lol @ the cuddle all night too. DH was disappointed when I was the one that didn't want to! Although we definitely cuddle more than we used to....just not when I'm prego.

    ReplyDelete
  3. its so true.. marriage is nothing like dating but i sure do love it!

    and i have some recipes ill have to send your way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Husbands get too hot at night for some reason, so you dont cuddle all night when you sleep."

    Seriously! Josh sweats and it's SO gross and he always gets offended when I don't want to cuddle! Oh, ANNND he doesn't like to sleep with the fan on.

    ReplyDelete