Saturday, February 18, 2012

Child Services

Once upon a time a girl was trying to make a decision about what area of social work to go into, and get her first experience in (practicum). She thought she was interested in old people, and then hospitals maybe... or even schools, or adoption agencies, or substance abusing teens. But a little voice kept telling her... child services might be a good area for you. Child services like CPS?? or Child services like a government job where I'm giving aid?  Well.. CPS was what I ( I mean she) was thinking, or a Child crisis center.

I was pretty sure... until.... I read this book, and couldn't even get my stomach through some chapters.
I had to go get something to eat because I was starving just reading it, and I had to gag a couple times and cry a few more times.

I really decided to second guess my choice. I just don't know if i can handle hearing about the awful things people do to their children. I want to help, I really do... but my heart breaking on a daily basis might not be in my best interest personally.

Looks like that girl will be re considering her thoughts... unless of course they keep coming back to her.

2 comments:

  1. There was a mom in my nursing class that was changing careers for that very reason!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you MUST read the rest of the books. you have to see where he ends up at the very end to see how he changes & overcomes adversity! he is incredible!

    ReplyDelete