School Is actually Enjoyable.
My one complaint is that my teachers..as in EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM....dont believe in traditional multiple choice tests. Instead its.. Memorize EVEYRTHING from chapters 1-3 kind of test.
WTF? I took my first test friday....it had 9 questions but was worth 150 points. ya.. ...the short answer kind of tests. . ... I am told that every test in the program from here on out is like that. ... ps. I think I did well on that particular test, however I know there will be others I wont do so well in.
other than that... Love my program. It is a cohort, therefore the students that are in my classes now, will be in my classes for the next year as we finish the program together. Everyone is nice, and im excited to get to know them. Teachers are all great as well, and interesting to listen to. I am taking Social Policy, Working with Older Adults, Working with Substance Abusers, and a Human Development class.
I find it really neat as I continue to learn that this profession fits my personality. This is where i am supposed to be, even though my educational paths have been confusing and crazy. I dont think I have ever enjoyed school as much as I have in the past few weeks.
I have to volunteer at (2) AA meetings for my substance abuse class, that should be interesting. I also have to volunteer with the activities coordinater at a retirement home, which I have done plenty of, and LOVE.
I am stressing about my internship. It is not until Jan. 2013, however I have no idea where i want to go, or what I want to do. The options are endless. Idealy lately I have been really wanting a job for LDS family services, but like I said that...that could all change tomorrow.
My teachers are such role models. They are all extremely accomplished and have so many stories to tell in the work they pursue and the paths they have been led down. I have chosen the right program, because these people are well known, along with BYU-H's program. I feel blessed to be able to be experiencing this awesome educational oppurtunity.
We are blessed to be here at BYU-H attending a private school at a very cheap tuition rate. The work of the lord is moving foward, and I see it everyday at this school as so many students have come here from other countries to develop skills to return to thier home countries.
The other day my teacher had just gotten back from a school presidency meeting and explained to our that the school is going to be making many changes in the next few years. Here is the scoop: President Monson has asked the school to grow to 5,000 students. Currently we only have 2,000. For fall semester 2011, this year alone about 9,000 students were denied acceptance to the school, and that is the most they have turned down since the school opened. Monson also asked the school to continue its international efforts western. The school will now be bringing over more students from China, and other countries to help the church grow. Initially the point of the school is "Enter to Learn, and Go Forth to Serve" and thats what these international students do. They come to Hawaii for thier education, and are given church callings to learn leadership to go back to thier countries and develop and organize the church. I feel blessed to be here. We are supposed to be here. In about 2-3 years Byu-Hawaii will only be 20% mainland students. Currently, because of economical crisis in other countries, the mainland percentage is more like 45% . It is progressively getting harder and harder to attend this university of great worth. Now do you people understand how blessed we are to be able to participate in the work of the lord?
"Enter to Learn, and Go Forth to Serve."
Oh and This Man......
President Steven C. Wheelright ... the President of our School.. Is..a Volunteer Service Missionary. Yep.. What a man. He is volunteering his services to our school, to us as students, and to the church. Out of hundreds of qualified applicants for the JOB (payed) ..(.yes his position is an actual payed job normally)- President Hinkley called this man as a missionary of the church to be the President of this University. Wheelright and his wife were serving as missionaries in Idaho when this happened, and the prophet called him and told him they were changing thier mission, and he has been at BYU-H as acting and presiding president ever since. Pretty cool huh? Says alot about the kind of man he is, and makes me even more grateful to be here, because I know that he was called to be here for a reason.





These types of facts/statistics reminds me of how blessed I was to go to school there too! It's an exciting and challenging time for the university, and I'm curious to see all the changes that will take place in the next several years.
ReplyDelete